Prom Makeup Tips
By: Angelia Stevenson
Prom season has arrived! That magical night every girl looks forward to their high school senior year. This can also be a very stressful time for both parents and teens alike. You’ve got the guy, the dress, the shoes, but an even tougher decision, then finding all these things – what will my makeup look like! I’ve come up with a few tips to help alleviate the confusion and get you looking your best on your special night.
1) Skin Prep – The key to a good, long lasting makeup application is skin preparation. Start by knowing your skin type whether it’s oily, dry, or combination and using appropriate products based on your particular type. I recommend Mary Kay Oil Free Eye Makeup Remover to gently remove makeup and Cetaphil Daily Skin Cleanser to cleanse. Don’t forget to moisturize! I do not recommend trying new beauty products or procedures the day of your event as you could have an adverse reaction that causes minor skin irritation and/or inflammation.
2) Foundation – Choosing the right foundation can be a scary task, but it doesn’t have to be. It’s important to not only know your skin type but also your skin under tone, to correctly color match your foundation. If you’re stuck on finding the right foundation visit your local Sephora, Ulta, or Department store to be properly color matched to find the best foundation formula and color that suits you. You may also want to test out the foundation a few weeks prior to the event to see how it wears.
3) Color Palette – Choosing the right color eye shadow, blush, or lipstick can be a bit overwhelming. If your dress is bright, multi-colored, and/or blingy, I recommend keeping the color palette light and fresh. You don’t want too much going on at once. If your dress is neutral or black you can opt to go with a smoky eye, add a pop of color or sparkle (glitter)!
4) Lips or Eyes – What’s your best feature? What are you complimented on the most? As with choosing the right color palette to create an overall cohesive look you also want to choose which feature to showcase. Either emphasize your eyes or your lips, but never both!
5) Touch Ups – The evening will be filled with dancing, laughter, and maybe some tears. Help keep your makeup in place and looking its best all night with these quick tips – Carry your lip pencil and lipstick for quick touch ups between trips to the dance floor. Also have your powder puff or blotting papers to quickly absorbed unwanted moisture.
6) Photos – You didn’t come this far to ruin that perfect celfie with a makeup mishap!! Just because it says “HD” doesn’t mean you’re safe from looking like Casper’s sister in photos. I recommend setting your foundation with a translucent (colorless) powder. Check the label – if it contains SPF, titanium dioxide, or silica – chances are it will cause flash back.
Prom is a once in a lifetime event and you want to create lasting memories for years to come. These are just a few suggestions for creating the perfect prom look for you. If you’re still unsure of what to do don’t risk it, hire a local professional makeup artist. You’ll thank me later :)
For more beauty inspiration follow me at www.brushesofbeauty.com
Facebook: Brushes of Beauty